Do you love the balayage look but don’t have the money to go to the hairdresser? We have the perfect instructions for a DIY balayage – to make yourself at home.
ATTENTION: Coloring your hair at home can quickly start from behind! Your hair could become orange or spotty and even break off. It’s best to get someone who knows how to dye hair or watch YouTube videos that explain every step in detail.
It is also important that you get the right products for dyeing. If all of this is too complicated for you, only one thing helps: save and then go to the hairdresser. After all, he still knows best what he is doing. 😉
By the way: If you have black or very dark hair, you should definitely keep your hands off the balayage at home. Is really only for professionals with dark hair !
What is Balayage?
Balayage is a special dyeing technique in which the lengths and tips of your hair are gently lightened using a coloring brush and hair dye. The color gradient should look very natural – as if kissed by the sun. So that the result is perfect, you can choose a shade that is only 1-2 shades lighter than your natural hair color.
Balayage DIY – you need it
In order for the balayage look to succeed, you should have the following things ready:
- An old towel and an old T-shirt, which can easily get stains ( Warning : hair bleaching can no longer be removed from your clothes!)
- Stem comb
- 2 to 3 large hair clips
- Flat coloring brush for applying the hair color
- Hair color in the shade that matches your hair (1-2 shades lighter) – buy 2 packs so that you don’t end up with too little color!
- Timer on your cell phone
Make balayage yourself – step by step
- Put on the old t-shirt, hang the towel around your shoulders, and have everything you need for the balayage DIY.
- Use the stem comb to split your parting where you normally wear it. Middle parting or side parting?
- Now you split your hair with the stem of the comb into three parts. The first game is divided around the crown. This is your topcoat, which remains completely color-free. Twist the divided hair into a small bun and fasten it to the top of the head with a clip.
- The second batch one level lower, again around the head, divided and also fastened to the head with a clip. The last game, at the very bottom, easily gets stuck. If you have very thick hair, you can also cut off four sections.
- Now prepare the color according to the instructions. Stick to the information and do the allergy patch test described in it.
- Next, you can start by separating a 2- to the 3-finger-thick strand and brushing it with your brush and hair color. The hair color belongs only in the lengths and tips and never (!) On the approach!
- Each strand can be set at different heights – this is particularly natural. Apply the paint only from above to the strand and use lots of small brush strokes, as if you were painting a canvas with paint.
- Drop the streak covered with paint on the towel and dedicate yourself to the next strand. Try to work quickly – it doesn’t have to be perfect! Next, let the second parted section out of the brackets and proceed with these hairs in exactly the same way as with the first section, etc.
- Allow the hair to act according to the instructions (set a timer!) And wash it out at the end as described in the instructions. Dries your hair and looks forward to a beautifully natural balayage!