Psyllium husks can naturally help us lose weight. You can find out here how power food works and what you should pay attention to when taking it.
Lose weight with psyllium husks. This is how they support you on your diet
Psyllium husks are the outer coverings of the seeds of the plant Plantago ovata. They contain soluble fiber, especially mucilage, which swells when combined with water and forms a gel-like substance. And this is exactly where the highlight lies. Thanks to their special consistency, they can help you lose weight.
- The feeling of satiety: The fiber in psyllium husks can bind water and swell in the stomach, which can lead to an increased feeling of satiety. This could help you eat less and, therefore, potentially consume fewer calories.
- Slowing digestion: The gel-like substance created by psyllium husk swelling can help slow digestion. This can help you feel fuller for longer and potentially stabilize your blood sugar levels.
- Regulating blood sugar levels: By slowly releasing sugar from carbohydrate-rich foods, psyllium husks can help prevent blood sugar spikes and therefore reduce food cravings.
- Supporting intestinal health: The fiber in psyllium husk promotes intestinal health. A healthy gut also indirectly helps with weight loss.
Take correctly: This is what you have to pay attention to
Taking psyllium husks requires special attention, as they require a lot of water to develop their swelling properties and thus help you lose weight.
- Advertisement -
Note the following points:
Take enough water. Psyllium husks absorb water and swell, creating a gel-like substance. Therefore, it is important to take them with plenty of water. A typical ratio might be about 1 to 2 teaspoons of psyllium-husk with a glass of water. You can also use juice or another liquid, but water is ideal.
- Drink immediately: Once you have mixed the psyllium husks with water, drink the mixture immediately. Don’t wait too long; otherwise, they could swell too much, which can lead to an unpleasant consistency.
- Start with small amounts. If this is your first time using psyllium husk, start with small amounts to see how your body reacts. A sudden increase in fiber intake can cause bloating or stomach upset.
- Drink enough fluids: In addition to the fluid you take with the psyllium husks, it is important to drink enough water throughout the day. This aids digestion and prevents possible constipation.
- Do not take it before bedtime. Due to the swelling properties of psyllium husk, it is advisable not to take it immediately before bedtime to avoid possible discomfort during the night.
- Combine with a balanced diet: Psyllium husks should not be used as a substitute for a balanced diet. They can be incorporated into a healthy diet to support satiety and increase fiber intake.
- Pay attention to medication: If you are taking medication, you should not take psyllium husk at the same time as the medication, as it could affect absorption. It is advisable to leave at least 1-2 hours between taking psyllium husk and medication.